Diary of a geek

October 2010
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
       
21

Andrew Pollock

Categories

Other people's blogs

Subscribe

RSS feed

Contact me

JavaScript required


Thursday, 21 October 2010

Well that's a relief

As readers of my blog (who care about Debian stuff) may know, I've been plugging away at the DHCP 4.x packages for some time now.

I first uploaded 4.1.1-P1-7 to unstable in early July, then -8 in mid-July followed by -9 in late July.

The main reason for the delay (beyond my lack of spare time) was the coordination with third-party packages that were plonking hooks into /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-{enter,exit}-hooks.d. Once that got all squared away, the release team gave me the green light to upload to unstable. On the 26th of July, 4.1.1-P1-9 made it into the testing distribution.

Rather unfortunately (for me), the release team then declared testing frozen on August 6. I'd been hoping for a few more iterations on the package after getting feedback from the testing user base. Alas, it was not to be.

One piece of feedback I did get on August 9 was release critical bug #592361, which made me very sad, because I totally agreed with the severity of it. It was an upstream issue, and I immediately escalated it to upstream. Unfortunately, they did not get back to me particularly quickly (I had to use some back channels to get a response at all).

I eventually got the response I was pretty much expecting: I was going to have to directly patch configure.ac to make it stop trying to link with libcrypto. To complicate matters, the LDAP patch also goes and messes with configure.ac, so it required some fiddling with the LDAP patch as well. I figured I could wrap my head around it all, it was just some patch wrangling, but with parenthood and a wife who was trying to be a full-time mother as well as a part-time student-by-correspondence, large chunks of spare time were not in great abundance.

So I've had this bug niggling away at the back of my mind for literally months now, when in sails Simon McVittie with a patch. Hallelujah, I said to myself. I could just take this guy's patch, and we'd all be home and hosed. So I spent a bunch of hours yesterday, while I was at home trying to kick a cold, faffing around with his patch and trying to get it to build.

Alas, it would not build.

I went to bed far too late last night, feeling like I was on the verge of having it work, but it wasn't. I emailed Simon back today, and he quickly got back to me with the (easy) fix, and tonight, I am in business! The much awaited 4.1.1-P1-10 is uploaded to unstable.

I'm still not particularly happy with the state of the package though. The supplied dhclient-script doesn't properly support DHCPv6, and I'm in no position to quickly rectify this, unfortunately, especially in light of the freeze.

If you are interested in helping test pre-releases of an updated dhclient-script, please feel free to subscribe to pkg-dhcp-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org, and I'll coordinate such activities on that list in the near future.

[23:32] [debian] [permalink]