Diary of a geek

July 2009
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
   
12
   

Andrew Pollock

Categories

Other people's blogs

Subscribe

RSS feed

Contact me

JavaScript required


Sunday, 12 July 2009

ISC DHCP 4.1 packages progressing

There's been a steady trickle of interest in Debian packages of version 4.1 of ISC's DHCP.

I've been a bit busy with Real Life of late, but I had made a start on the packages a little while ago. I got a good chunk of time today and have something close to what I'd be happy to upload to experimental.

There's been three main hold ups:

The upstream build system changed

Upstream switched to using GNU autoconf and automake and all of that jazz, so nothing behaved the way it used to. I used this opportunity to heavily refactor debian/rules and use debhelper more consistently and appropriately.

It was a new major version, so the "3" had to go from everything

For historical reasons dating back to before I was involved in the maintenance of the package, the v2 DHCP package was called "dhcp" and the v3 DHCP package was called "dhcp3". The resulting binary packages were called dhcp3-client and dhcp3-server and so on. It seemed incredibly lame continue calling the v4 packages with v3 names. While I was "de-threeing" everything, I decided that maintaining a monopoly on the name "DHCP" seemed a bit unreasonable, so I've renamed the source package to "isc-dhcp" and all of the binary packages now have "isc-" prepended to them.

I wanted to switch to Git for collaborative maintenance

This is the first package I've maintained in Git, on Alioth, so there's been a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to do everything.

What's still to be done

While the package currently builds, it's not handling upgrades from v3 versions, and I doubt I've expressed all of the dependencies correctly to even try such a thing. The kFreeBSD patches need redoing, as does the LDAP patches.

There's probably not much more to be done before I'd be prepared to upload to experimental, except do a bit of local testing to make sure everything vaguely works. I might get time next weekend to do that.

If you're interested in helping, check out the Alioth project and the Git repository or drop me a line.

[22:51] [debian] [permalink]

I can stop going crazy using Chromium on Linux

Chromium bug 13395 has been fixed. All is right with the world.

[11:14] [tech] [permalink]