Diary of a geek

July 2005
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
       
6

Andrew Pollock

Categories

Other people's blogs

Subscribe

RSS feed

Contact me

JavaScript required


Wednesday, 06 July 2005

On this udev 060 and 2.6.12 kernel thing

Marco wrote a fairly reasonable explanation of the udev situation.

I just hope that he (or someone else) files a release critical bug to keep udev 060 out of testing if this is the appropriate thing to do. He says that there is a reason why we call it unstable, but one also needs to remember that what goes into unstable ultimately winds up in testing, and ideally we want testing to be releaseable at all times. If something winds up in testing that only runs optimally on non-existent kernel packages in testing, then that's... suboptimal.

[20:08] [debian] [permalink]

I love it when things Just Work

daedalus, my colocated server in Brisbane is getting a bit long in the tooth. It's an 866Mhz Pentium III, with 256Mb of PC100 RAM, and a couple of 120Mb IDE hard drives. The hard drives are new to when I reinstalled it about a year ago, but other than that, nothing's changed since I bought it in 2001. It's served me extremely well.

I started hosting Mikal's website, late last year some time, and then I also hosted a temporary UML instance for the linux.conf.au 2006 guys. Then the poor old box really started to grind. It also crashed a couple of weeks ago, and since then, one of the disks has been exhibiting read errors (they're software RAID-1, but post crash, the one with the read errors came up clean, and couldn't sync properly with the one that didn't have read errors).

So I decided it was time to lash out on a new box. With the possibility of relocating to the US to work, I didn't want to have to deal with a dying box from the US, so I figured this was a very good time to be upgrading. I ordered a Dell 1850 in the last days of the financial year. I went a bit nuts:

  • 2 x 3.0Ghz Xeon 2M cache CPUs
  • 2 Gb DDR-2 400Mhz RAM
  • 2 x 73 Gb SCSI drives
  • dual power supplies

Hopefully this will last me the next four years and beyond.

But anyway, onto the Just Works bit...

Tonight I went to install Sarge, and I thought, bugger burning a CD, let's try a netboot. So I untarred the relevant tarball onto my boot server, tweaked DHCP slightly, and PXE booted the new server, and it all Just Worked. I installed an LVM on RAID setup with absolutely no funny business required. It was awesome. d-i is the business.

[06:30] [tech] [permalink]